April 28, 2007
God created Adam and Eve on Day 6.
On Day 7 God rested.
So the first experience Adam and Eve had with God was rest.
(Thanks Lisa for telling me about this nugget you gleaned from Wayne Barber–and telling me.)
Here’s what their first experience with God wasn’t:
- A to-do list
- A sermon
- A boring choir practice
- A quiz on the first 5 days of creation
Can you wrap your mind what that must have been like, resting with God? Wow.
And how ironic that resting with God is what we’re created for…yet it’s elusive for so many of us.
Because Jesus fulfilled the Old Covenant, and we live in the days of the New Covenant, the Sabbath isn’t the day of rest.
Jesus is our rest.
Oh, Jesus, drip this veracity into my soul like a truth I.V.
You are my rest.
April 24, 2007
I pulled both items of the fridge and left the room to get something.
When I came back I realized the sad, sad dichotomy.
Yet it didn’t stop me from swilling the diet Pepsi with Cherry amidst bites of carrot sticks double-dipped in PB.
If I believed in yin and yang this might totally work in my favor.
April 20, 2007
On Monday, our team watched a video by John Piper.
It’s Friday and I’m still chewing.
The essence of what Piper said was:
God is like a fountain.
He’s not like a needy trough into which I pour my water buckets of service attempts.
Whew. I need that truth today. This week has me spinning like a top with the Virginia Tech news and helping keep the Campus Crusade staff family abreast of the news.
Emotionally, task-wise and physically I’ve been running. (The 5K last night was a literal picture of that.)
It’s so easy for me sprint ahead in work.
If I was in a plane, the situation would be so clear. Little Angie–if I could even see her on the ground–with her little bucket of service, running to the trough. Um, no, I don’t think Angie’s little bucket will add much to the big picture.
It’s not about me.
I needed to be reminded that He doesn’t need my bucket. Or my water. I’m so glad! That is intoxicatingly freeing when I stop running and realize.
He’s not the trough. He’s my fountain.
Here’s my cup, Lord. With the bottom popped out. And I’m sticking it in the downpour of water.
April 19, 2007
Molly taped 2 interviews Wednesday–one with CBS and one with ABC. Each one took almost 2 hours. The interviews were emotionally exhausting for Molly and anyone involved.
Molly is a freshman that is involved in the ministry of Campus Crusade at Virginia Tech. She lived next door to the first victim of Monday’s shootings.
Watch Molly’s Story
- You can now watch ABC’s interview with Molly. It mentions her involvement with a Christian Bible-study group.
- You can also watch the CBS interview with Molly Donohue on their Web site. It’s a short, 1 ½ minute package that aired Wednesday night on the CBS Evening News with Katie Couric. The CBS coverage was changed from what they’d originially planned by the breaking news of the DVD the gunmen sent to NBC.
April 18, 2007
Among the shooter’s fatal victims were 4 students involved with Campus Crusade at Virginia Tech.
It makes me think back to my life in Boulder, Colorado as a new staff member with Campus Crusade. A young 22-year-old who was off to change the world at CU, God blessed me with some great young college women to work with: Christine, Nadia, Janessa, Joy, Jennifer, and many others.
It could have happened at CU. (Actually the Columbine shootings happened during those days.) It could have been Christine. Or Nadia. Or the others.
How my life and the Campus Crusade movement…and campus life would have been different without them.
And I think of Virginia Tech and my staff friend there, Sarah. The ache to lose young friends.
The Campus Crusade group is having a closed-to-the-press prayer time tonight. Tomorrow is a day many in the Campus Crusade family are praying for Virginia Tech.
Want to join us?
The staff team at Virginia Tech have asked us to specifically pray for the following things:
- The families of the students who were killed.
- The students who were injured and still in the hospital.
- 4 students who were involved with Campus Crusade were killed. Please pray for their families and friends.
- Survivors of the shootings who witnessed the horrors of that day. Pray for God’s grace and comfort.
- Pray for wisdom for the Campus Crusade staff member and other campus ministers and pastors as they seek to counsel and love the hurting students
April 15, 2007
Nothing like working out with 1,250 friends to make a weekend memorable!